Welcome to Carlybird's Home, my Christian book review blog!

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Possession by Rene Gutteridge


About the book:

In the aftermath of investigating the D.C. sniper case, police detective Vance Graegan is burned out on life and love. Hoping to save his marriage, he quits the force and moves his wife and son to the other side of the country. But when the movers decide to hold his belongings for ransom, Vance is determined to ensure that his family’s new beginning is not ruined. Soon, though, losing his possessions becomes the least of his problems as everything they are fighting for begins to unravel in the hands of Vance’s past. In an unforgettable climax, a little boy’s innocent faith brings a group of desperate people to their knees. What is at stake counts for everything, but nothing can prepare Vance for who is behind it.


My review of Possession:


When I first read the description for this book, it did not sound terribly interesting to me, but very often to me, it is more about the author and not so much about the story.  I have read a couple of Rene Gutteridge’s books and I have always loved her writing.  Her last book, Listen, was fantastic.  So, I decided I would like to read her new book.  I’m glad I did because the writing I have come to really like from her was very present in Possession.  The story starts very quickly and the suspense continues to build throughout the whole story until the book reaches a satisfying and uplifting conclusion. 

I must admit that I was mildly disappointed that I figured out who the bad guy was early on in the story, but that revelation is made with a lot of story left, so there were still some very clever surprises that made this book very exciting and intense at times.  The sweet and simple faith of eight-year-old Conner brought the Christian angle into the story without it feeling forced or out of place.  

The one intriguing thing about this story when I first read the description was Vance’s history with investigating the DC sniper case.  The after-effects of this event in Vance’s life adds to the intensity of the story as he deals with post traumatic stress.

Overall, Possession is another fantastic suspense novel from a very gifted author.  I am once again quite pleased with Rene’s work and I am very glad I decided to read this book.  I highly recommend this book, especially to fans of suspense.  It is a very entertaining and intense story.  I would have loved an epilogue though, but I can just use my imagination.  






This book was provided for review by Tyndale.

No comments: