Welcome to Carlybird's Home, my Christian book review blog!

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Blood Ransom by Lisa Harris



About the book:

Natalie Sinclair is working to eradicate the diseases decimating whole villages in the Republic of Dhambizao when she meets Dr. Chad Talcott, a surgeon on sabbatical from a lucrative medical practice now volunteering at a small clinic.

Meanwhile, things are unraveling in Dhambizao. Joseph Komboli returns to his village to discover rebel soldiers abducting his family and friends. Those that were too old or weak to work lay motionless in the African soil. When Chad and Natalie decide to help Joseph expose this modern-day slave trade—and a high-ranking political figure involved in it—disaster nips at their heels.

Where is God in the chaos? Will Chad, Natalie, and Joseph win their race against time?

Romance and adventure drive Blood Ransom, by Lisa Harris, a powerful thriller about the modern-day slave trade and those who dare to challenge it.




My review of Blood Ransom:


They say you should write what you know, which is exactly why I wanted to read Blood Ransom.  Lisa Harris and her family have lived in Africa and worked as missionaries there for over twenty years and I have been very intrigued by her experiences since the first time I heard about her work.  

Although this book is fiction, there is some reality to it with the slave trade that still takes place throughout Africa today.  Suspense fiction is not always my favorite genre to read, but if the setting is interesting and unique, I will give it a try.  This book is very good suspense with just the right amount of romance and a touch of reality which makes Blood Ransom a very well-rounded book.  It moves very fast and is at times very hard to put down.  

I have always respected those, like Lisa and her family, who answer God’s call to minister to people who live in places like Africa.  Her experiences lend themselves to strong writing and interesting stories.  There are not many books that are like Blood Ransom, making it an even more interesting read.  I really liked this book, much more than I expected to.  Lisa Harris has certainly been blessed with a heart for the people of Africa and the ability to tell stories that bring the people she loves to her readers.  I highly recommend Blood Ransom.  I am looking forward to more of Lisa’s books and learning more about her work, both as an author and as a missionary. 






This book was provided for review by Zondervan.  I was not obligated to write a positive review.  This review is my honest opinion.

No comments: