Welcome to Carlybird's Home, my Christian book review blog!

Friday, December 9, 2011

The Great Fat Fraud by Mike Schatzki




I finished this book a while ago, but I wanted to take my time and think about it and go over it again before writing my review.  It’s hard to put down because there is so much research, it’s hard to absorb it all.  First of all, I can’t agree with the author more that if we would just get off the couch and walk 10,000 steps a day, our country would be much healthier.  The author has done extensive research on this topic and he has presented it in an interesting way and made me laugh a few times as well.  Mike is not a doctor, and that is an asset to this book.  He is just an average guy who knew he needed to get moving, so he did his homework, got moving and improved his health and now he is sharing what he learned with us.  Bravo!  He doesn’t focus so much on weight, instead he focuses on taking those 10,000 steps a day.  There are plenty of thin people who are very unhealthy.

Now, my personal story is very different.  I was a walker and an exerciser, but I was overweight and very sick with fibromyalgia.  Just walking was not enough to restore my health.  For me it was all about the food.  I was eating junk, sugar, processed food, nothing that God intended us to eat.  Once I made the switch to nothing but fresh fruits and veggies, fresh juice, beans, and some meat, the big changes came.  I dropped fifty pounds and the fibromyalgia was gone.  Even though I am at my happy weight, I continue the very healthy diet, but I also insist on walking.  I could not agree more with the author on the issue of walking.  It really is quite simple and Mike has shown the research to back up what he is saying.  Every body is different and if following Mike’s program improves your health, excellent.  Someone like me just needed a little bit more.  I didn’t do any kind of fad diet and I loved Mike’s take on fad diets, very eye opening indeed.  I have several health and nutrition books in my collection and The Great Fat Fraud is a welcome addition.  It’s definitely a book to refer back to because it is so research intensive.

1 comment:

Martha A. said...

Sounds like an interesting book! I just help teach a class about healthy fats that we need in our diet to be healthy, so the title caught my eye!