Welcome to Carlybird's Home, my Christian book review blog!

Friday, February 3, 2012

Every Body Matters by Gary Thomas



About the book:


Every Body Matters explores how positively addressing our physical condition can lead to a fortified soul better able to serve and love others. Through confessional and engaging stories of people who intentionally got physically fit as a way to grow spiritually, Thomas draws a fresh, compelling, non-judgmental body/soul correlation.

Few pastors or Christian writers have dared to approach the subject of how proper eating and an active lifestyle can affect how we serve God. Author Gary Thomas does just that. And he reaches all the way back to the apostle Paul, who wrote that we need to prime our bodies to become, "an instrument for noble purposes, made holy, useful to the Master and prepared to do any good work." To illustrate the body/soul correlation, Thomas presents engaging and diverse stories that include a young mom who got fit through volleyball and reaped spiritual rewards in her marriage, a 300-pound pastor who realized his obesity was eroding his ministry impact, and a woman who gained the spiritual strength to survive a contentious divorce by training for a marathon. In every instance, Thomas makes a direct connection between the physical challenge and its spiritual consequence. This book is a must read for anyone seeking new and compelling motivation for strengthening their bodies and fortifying their souls.






My review of Every Body Matters:


I am living proof that taking care of our physical condition directly affects our spiritual condition.  When I was overweight and suffering from fibromyalgia, my spiritual life was almost non-existent.  I could not enjoy attending church or times of fellowship.  I was about as sick and unhappy as I could get and I was not a good testimony to God’s greatness.  Now that I have taken control of my health and allowed God to heal me, things are very different for my spiritual life.

It is for these reasons I really wanted to read Every Body Matters.  The subject of weight and healthy lifestyle is a difficult one to bring up with a congregation, but it truly is necessary.  Gary Thomas tackles this issue with openness and depth and in a non-judgmental way.  He’s been there and he knows how difficult (and necessary) it is to lose weight.  He shares his wisdom and experiences with his readers to help them realize that God wants to live at our healthiest levels so we can serve Him.

I am a firm believer in taking the best possible care of myself.  Not because I idolize fitness and nutrition, but because God created me to be healthy and serve Him.  Every Body Matters is an important book for Christians to read and adopt as part of their healthy spiritual life and worship.



For more information about Every Body Matters and to read a sample visit the Zondervan 
website.












This book was provided for review by Zondervan.

No comments: